[Wikimediaau-l] Melbourne Wikimania 2010

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 06:23:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Brianna Laugher
<brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it would be a great idea to do either a miniconf or co-locate
> with LCA one year, but unfortunately with LCA09 in Hobart I don't
> think it's a good idea.
>
> I am pretty sure you cannot register for a miniconf only, and have to
> register for the whole conference. Last year's prices:
> Hobbyists $352.00
> Students $154.00
>
> Given those prices + the need for most people to travel to Tassie, I
> don't think it's realistic.
>
> I would like to organise our own event or events though. Maybe small
> events in as many cities as possible, over the same weekend. Like a
> distributed conference or something.
>
> Disclaimer: I am intending to submit a miniconf proposal for LCA09,
> with Adam Hyde ( en.flossmanuals.net ) called "Free as in Freedom"
> (free software ethics, free culture, open access, open educational
> resources etc). Naturally Wikimedia fits under this umbrella and I
> would welcome any Wikimedian submissions if the miniconf is gets
> accepted. :)

A Wikimedia mini-mini conf. :)

Sounds good, since I'm attending anyway. Considering the price
barriers, shall we set a different date for the "practice wikimania"?
Small events that same weekend sound good, but that's not the same as
working together on one event.

Angela