[Wikimediaau-l] Schools (was English Teachers' Association presentation)

Orderinchaos78 orderinchaos78 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 05:12:01 UTC 2008

I could argue as a politics student and history enthusiast that those
countries, with the exception of Germany, are not federal in structure and
so this becomes an argument of federalism vs centralism. and yes, in answer
to Bao Loc, I believe SA and VIC have the best education systems in
Australia, speaking as a Western Australian with no investment in any state
but my own, primarily because of innovative developments and ideas which
have been implemented - and, unlike in my state, haven't gone belly up -
over the last 15 years in both states. Victoria was the first state in
Australia to use Common Assessment Tasks as a basis for assessment and oddly
a lot of the CAT stuff has ended up in other states in some form although
not as an official part of the system - but they're well designed and
flexible. SA has a multiplicity and diversity of approaches that answers the
needs of varied levels of ability, particularly at the year 11-12 stage. NSW
effectively has the system all three states left behind 10-15 years ago in
almost its pure form. Students who come here from NSW (and I worked at a
school with quite a few of them at one stage) have a real hard time
adapting, even the bright ones - our system is less rigid and prescriptive
and it's a different mindset they need to manage within it. But this is a
Wikimedia Australia mailing list so I'll respect that we are going off
topic. :)

cheers
Andrew