[Wikimediaau-l] Wikimania 2010 bid idea: joint-bid with iSummit?

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 08:41:53 UTC 2008

That would work IMO. Free culture is a compatible idea with the free knowledge that wikipedia focuses on mostly, albeit with the occasional license dispute between the two projects. Have the CC-BY-SA license and GFDL been made compatible? If so it would be a perfect opportunity to highlight the range of possible options for collaboration, and otherwise it would still be useful for other focuses.

On the CCau situation, I am a student at QUT and I am pretty sure I am in the same building as the CC guys so I could act as a liaison of sorts if necessary. The (failed) bid for hosting wikimania in Brisbane attracted some attention in my faculty, but I didn't think of chatting to the CC people a few floors above me about it. There is still likely to be support for holding a joint conference in Brisbane still I think if the group decides to go that way, especially as UQ were also interested in pitching in.

Cheers,

Peter