[Wikimediaau-l] Wikimania 2010 bid idea: joint-bid with iSummit?

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 10:55:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Brianna Laugher
<brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So a couple of weeks ago I had a cool idea...what if we made our
> Wikimania10 bid a joint-bid for both Wikimania and iSummit?
> <http://icommonssummit.org/> (iSummit crowd is kind of creative
> commonsy, arty, education-y)

iSummit is very expensive. I don't think it fits with the style of
Wikimania where attendance is almost free and most attendees stay in
campus or hostel type accommodation. The jury are likely to turn down
Australia because airfares from the US or Europe are $1000 or more. I
don't see how co-hosting with a conference that costs that much just
to get in, let alone get there, will help our chances.

Angela