[Wikimediaau-l] Wikimania 2010 bid idea: joint-bid with iSummit?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 08:10:26 UTC 2008

Hi all,

So a couple of weeks ago I had a cool idea...what if we made our
Wikimania10 bid a joint-bid for both Wikimania and iSummit?
<http://icommonssummit.org/> (iSummit crowd is kind of creative
commonsy, arty, education-y)

There is a decent amount of overlap of interests, although not
content, between Wikimania and iSummit. iSummit also has about 500
attendees. By co-hosting both, it could be enough to convince the
northern hemispherans that it is worth travelling so far to attend. I
reckon maybe up to 150 or so attendees would be interested in
attending both. It would also probably give us good advantages in
seeking sponsorship and some extra leverage with the venue, hopefully.

I floated the idea with Jessica Coates, who works for Creative Commons
Australia (based in Brisbane), and she said they like the idea. CCau
is attached to QUT, so they have a little bit of nice institutional
support that we don't have...

My thinking is they would be one after the other, with a day or two
break (weekend) in between. I would also like to see Wikimania have a
couple of extra free/closetofree days - one being a kind of "Open
Day/Wikipedia Academy", open to the public with lots of "How to edit
Wikipedia" style tutorials/workshops - that would be good and easy to
share with iCommons - and another being an unconference/discussion
day. That could also be shared with iSummit.

I think if we did this the potential host cities that would make the
most sense would be Melbourne or Brisbane. There are advantages and
disadvantages to both.

Naturally there would be lots of details to be worked out, but what
does everyone think about the general idea of working up a joint bid
proposal with Creative Commons Australia?

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/