[Wikimediaau-l] Aboriginal languages ...

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 02:54:26 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Bruce White <bruceanthro at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have been a Wikipedia editor .. and have some familiarity as to the uses
> to which that particular Wiki are put .. but I don't really understand what
> it is you/others are actually suggesting/offering .. that might serve, so
> usefully, to help people record/preserve/use other languages ....

Perhaps it is that wikipedia is a starting point to promote other
projects which are
documenting these languages and stories?

Perhaps it could be somewhere where people with skills in a language
could be linked to groups which could help with documentation?

Are there tools or communities or approaches which would be
interesting to you Bruce?
What kinds of things are easy and what kinds of things are not resolved?

What would happen if the stories were mapped to Googlemaps or to Open
Streetmap data.
Perhaps this is off topic for wikimedia-au, or perhaps using the open
mapping it could be integrated.

If there are existing spaces for language work they would be great to promote?
If there are new spaces needed eprhaps the wikia sites might be useful
if they need to work differently or
to have POV and original research.

There just feels like a hole where these stories fit.
And it would be nice to find out what could be done to recognise the
languages, communities and
perspectives.

imho

Janet