[Wikimediaau-l] Aboriginal languages ...

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 03:04:49 UTC 2008

Bruce,

I think your summary is quite correct. And the shortest answer to
your question is probably "we don't know either". At the moment, as
you're probably aware Wikimedia AU is still in its nascent stage and
as I see it (others please correct me if you disagree) we are kicking
around some ideas as to what we should/could do. Some of these ideas
include working with university societies to gain exposure on
campuses whilst others - such as this one - involve working in one
way or another with Aboriginal communities with specific focus on
Aboriginal language preservation/digitisation/usage.

I personally don't think that wikimedia AU is ready to set out on any
formal project of this type at this stage. If anything, I imagine
that this kind of project would begin on the basis of one or two
individuals getting involved on behalf of WM-AU and it might grow
from there to be something more formal. What these people might do is
quite varied and would probably be a factor of their particular
interests/experiences. This could include oral history transcription
for Source, creating media files for Commons, creating mapping data
for OpenStreetMap, writing articles on en-wikipedia about topics
relevant to that community...

It looks like YOU are in fact one of the better placed people to
advise US on what could/should be done. Perhaps it might be possible
for some form of scholarship from the Australian Institute of
Aboriginal Studies to send a wikipedian to live there for a few weeks/
months to help out. Again, this is just me kicking ideas around...

Basically, at this stage, you know just as much as we do (again,
others, please correct me if I'm wrong) and probably more. Maybe you
could suggest an existing project some individuals might be able to
join in on and give it a wiki spin.

-Liam

www.wikipediaweely.org
Skype - Wittylama