[Wikimediaau-l] Aboriginal languages ...

Bruce White bruceanthro at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 3 02:45:02 UTC 2008

Liam

Please forgive my Wikimeida ignorance, lack of familiarity ... I have some interest in these kinds of matters (particular with a North Queensland focus):

1.  I see some wikimedia-AU members are looking for/ and suggesting an Aboriginal language type project for wikimedia-AU (in this UN International Year of languages)?

2.  I see it has been suggested that some language and other expertise, aside from wiki skills and committment, will be necessary .. and, therefore, possible partner/s found to be able to engage i a project of this kind??

[There are Aboriginal langauge groups - as part of an Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies and other's program - within North Queensland who are actively working to record, transmit, and/or revive langauges .. which may also be interested in participating .. Similarly, the Queensland State Library has been actively involved in establishing what they call Knowledge Centres within Aboriginal communities providing computer etc facilities for people to particularly store/use local knowledges (including languages)]

3.  I see that people have ideas and/or may be identifying Aboriginal language communities with whom such project may be usefully undertaken

[There are also Aboriginal langauges and/or creols still spoken in the North Queensland/Cape York areas .. which might also stand to benefit?]

What I don't quite understand, and can't imagine .. is what, exactly, it is that wikimedia-AU may be offering??

I have been a Wikipedia editor .. and have some familiarity as to the uses to which that particular Wiki are put .. but I don't really understand what it is you/others are actually suggesting/offering .. that might serve, so usefully, to help people record/preserve/use other languages ....

I guess, from what you're saying, it may not be just another language equivalent to Wikipedia .. within which people might be expected to start creating articles / dictionaries in local languages, also recording ??

It would be greatly appreciated if you were able to point me in the right direction and/or just help me better understand the possibilities and potential of what is being suggested.  It may be that I am able to do a little to faciliate and assist from up this way .. if it is truly practical and useful

(At present, I believe, people up this way (with Cwlth Natural Resource Management support), who may be using computers to assist record, arrange etc languages .. are using various purpose designed databases, with their own servers & storage, and, for some, internet browser access strcitly restricted to pre-approved account holders ..??)

Again .. I am interest .. but don't really understand/ can't really imagine .. if you/anyone might be able to help/point me in the right direction

With thanks and regards

Bruce White
(Wikipedia user name - bruceanthro)