[Wikimediaau-l] Aboriginal languages (reply)

private musings thepmaccount at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 00:40:09 UTC 2008

leaving aside the discussions of whether or not this might be an 'official'
project for a mo... I've really got to pull you up a bit Liam, on some of
your previous comment. I have no doubt that you're well intentioned (smart,
lucid and good looking too!) - but you may be unaware of the ways your
comments can be construed - particularly on a public mailing list with an
akashic record....

You can cause terrible offense by discussing low literacy levels, and
technological competencies in such ways without huge sensitivity - and I'm
afraid I feel that I feel you could do better in that department... I can't
agree at all with your comments as written.

Talk of 'good PR' is also (at best) somewhat reckless, for similar reasons.

We need to be a bit more responsible in the way this discussion evolves -
but to reiterate my perspective on the issue of Aboriginal Language
wikipedia/s - I would certainly love to roll my sleeves up and contribute in
making connections to communities (I have some in mind), and evaluating the
possibilites of partnership with both governmental bodies, and NGOs - my
feeling is that there may be many happy to work with us. I'd suggest this
sort of work be co-ordinated over at meta somewhere perhaps? - or maybe on
'our' site as and when it's born.....

I'd be really proud to help here - and think it could be a hugely valuable
initiative.

cheers,

Peter
PM.