[Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 15:20:04 UTC 2014

I'd suggest that income is not a particularly significant factor in whether
or not people participate in the Wikimedia movement, particularly as
editors.  Infrastructure including internet access, education, and
availability of technology are far more significant.

These are all abundantly available in Europe, where we have probably the
highest concentration of editors per capita (with the possible exception of
the US).

In fact, I can't help wondering how a discussion of a European basic
minimum income really comes across to our colleagues who live in countries
where daily wages are the equivalent of the cost of a cup of coffee and
a pastry in most of Europe, North America, and other "wealthy"
countries.  It's bothering me, and I live in one of those well to do
countries.

Risker