[Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 14:56:41 UTC 2014

Seb35, 09/01/2014 10:59:
> As a Wikipmedian, I dream of such a basic income: it would empower the
> people to edit the Wikimedia projects by giving them libre time (libre as
> free speech). [...]

There are many political and economical variations of the proposal, but
this is usually *not* the stated aim by the main proposers.
As for Wikimedia projects, which from Shirky's perspective build on the
"cognitive surplus", we could consider the 14 millions of young "NEET"
just in EU as a goldmine.[1] Personally, I envision public re-employment
programs introducing millions of people in Wikimedia projects as civil
service, something useful both for the common good and for their
personal growth. I don't see why Wikimedia couldn't approach e.g. the
president of the European Parliament on such topics.

Nemo

[1] «In 2012 7.5 million young people aged 15-24 and an additional 6.5
million young people aged 25-29 were not in employment, education or
training in Europe. This corresponds to a significant increase in the
rate of young people classified as NEET: in 2008, the figure stood
at 11% of 15-24 year olds and 17 % of 25-29 year olds; by 2012 this had
increased to 13 %and 20% respectively (Eurostat).»
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_Data/docs/pressdata/en/educ/139721.pdf
Cf.
<http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Young_people_-_education_and_employment_patterns>.
[2] See also point 14 in the resolution above, «Measures addressing
young people in a NEET situation should be personalised and flexible and
aim to achieve sustainable positive outcomes in the long term in the
labour market, as well as (re)integration into education or training and
civic or social life. In novative ways, peer learning and outreach
activities should be used for working with young people in a NEET
situation.»