[Wikimedia-l] Relationship between Wikimedia and oDesk

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Wed Jan 8 15:17:35 UTC 2014

Hello dear all,

I won't impose my standard to other people, I just want to tell you what
is the standard I setup for myself, and I will also tell you why.

I won't accept payment or gift exceeding a certain amount (means > 20
Euro) or search for payment for my volunteer's work that is however
related to Wikimedia. Especially when I was on my travel reject gift may
be considered as unfriendly or even insulting, this is the ONLY reason
why I do accept small gifts. And by larger gift, like a quite expansive
looking image band I received in Kazakhstan I brought it to the office
and left it there.

There are a few reasons for this:

At first a very personal one: I made the experience in my life again and
again that I lost my fun and my interest on something as soon as I got
paid for it. Get paid = in debt of = duty = no fun.

Second is a philosophical one: I believe that getting paid do have a
desruptive effect on the free and collaboratory character of our
projects. The philosophical background is that I believe knowledge and
education is something like air, it is the basics of human live and
humanity and should not be charged. But well, I know, not all people,
(maybe most people) don't share this view point.

Third is a practical one: And this especially for people who occupy a
position in the movement, be it an employee of one of the organizations,
or be it a volunteer board member or a committee member: If you need to
fend off an accusation (most probably conflict of interest, or misuse of
power), you are in a bad position. It is in this case unimportant if the
accusation is true or not, battling against rumors and emotions is a
hard battle. And the limbo of being stained will always be with you.
Sadly, I have seen this too often by people inside of the movement and
outside of the movement (mainly in the politics) that I actually wonder
why people still fall into these pitfalls again and again. So try to
stay in a position in which you will not be confronted with such a
battle. It is simply like in the medicine: prophylax is better than
antibiotics.

A few words to my view on paid edition: I think this is something that
we cannot avoid happening. Prohibition just drives them into secrecy. As
such, I prefer it to be done openly instead of in secrecy. My personal
aversion against paid edition should be quite obvious from the above
account, just I don't feel I can (or should) enforce it upon other people.

Greetings
Ting