[Wikimedia-l] Relationship between Wikimedia and oDesk

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Thu Jan 9 00:14:55 UTC 2014

Andre Engels wrote:
>oDesk is a system where people can offer or take jobs. Wikimedia uses it
>(though in a somewhat different way). How on Earth do those two facts
>imply "oDesk is probably used for paid editing"?

I'm not sure "probably" is necessary. The evidence strongly suggests that
it _is_ used for paid editing. Whether it's used for paid advocacy is
another matter, of course.

https://www.odesk.com/o/profiles/browse/?q=wikipedia

I think oDesk serves multiple functions. The Wikimedia Foundation is
apparently a client, but individual Wikimedians have also apparently been
posting "hire me to write an article for you" entries.

That said, either oDesk's search functionality is terrible or the practice
doesn't seem to be particularly common. I've only found a few "Wikipedia
Expert" or "Wikipedia Writer" listings off-hand.

MZMcBride