[Wikimedia-l] Relationship between Wikimedia and oDesk

faewik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 08:04:45 UTC 2014

I have not used it but would like to know more. If WMF
employees/contractors are free to sell their services as paid
Wikipedia editors on oDesk, I think that a how-to-sell-your-services
guide would be helpful so that active unpaid volunteers who are not
employees know how to go get some money from their hobby.

To date, I have never be paid for my volunteer work, neither have I
been an employee of the WMF or a Chapter, but my activities as an
active batch uploader and bot-writer for Commons might be fungible and
if so, I would like to sell my services ethically and openly.

Fae

On 8 January 2014 07:30, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Can anyone explain the relationship between Wikimedia and oDesk?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/oDesk
>
> As I understand it, the Wikimedia Foundation uses oDesk with contractors
> to track their hours. (Right?)
>
> But it also appears to be a job board of some kind. It seems like a hybrid
> of LinkedIn and Craigslist, though I haven't looked carefully and I'm
> still lightly poking around. It seems like the kind of place where you can
> post Wikipedia paid editing services. If this is part of oDesk, does
> anyone know roughly how many people offer or buy these services?
>
> Regarding paid editing, Jimmy reiterated his stance on his talk page
> saying "I very very strongly condemn such editing, and this is no
> exception" and expressing his "usual principled objections to such
> things in the strongest possible terms."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Permalink/589723131
>
> I think the underlying issue deserves a discussion, apart from particular
> examples.
>
> MZMcBride

faewik at gmail.com http://j.mp/faewm
Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.