[Wikimedia-l] WMF employee writing articles for $300

Mark delirium at hackish.org
Mon Jan 6 21:49:45 UTC 2014

On 1/6/14, 7:07 AM, Peter Gervai wrote:
> I apologise for the break and please go on with the shit throwing
> contest but I guess there is nothing wrong with "paid editing" if it
> follows the policies and guidelines of Wikipedia. Experienced editors
> write better articles, people with lots of experience in their
> favourite field write better articles, and since article writing is
> really hard work (unless, of course, you're doing it all wrong)
> editors usually pick a few themes and work on it. It is understandable
> that if someone would like to have a topic covered and would like to
> convince someone to write THAT article instead of other ones then it
> may mean some way of convincing, money or otherwise. Well written
> articles have much better chance to stay and evolve.

Yes, if anything I'd like more of *this* kind of paid editing, where
someone is willing to pay for a neutral article on a subject to be
created. It does require that the person accepting money: 1) refuse
payment from people who want articles created that simply shouldn't
exit; and 2) actually write a neutral article, not PR-shill stuff. Some
people won't live up to those criteria, but I don't see it as inherently
problematic. There is a *possibility* of COI, but that is true for many
things besides money. I currently write some articles on Greek
locations, history, and museums. I'm also Greek by ethnicity. Is that
already, in itself, a COI? Would it be more of a COI if a Greek cultural
organization or a museum were paying me to improve the articles on such
subjects? Are "Wikipedian in residence" programs COIs? Overall I think
such interventions to improve Wikipedia by putting funds into supporting
editors are a good thing, when the editing they support aligns with the
mission of writing good articles.

Best,
Mark