[Wikimedia-l] WMF employee writing articles for $300

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 13:07:06 UTC 2014

I apologise for the break and please go on with the shit throwing
contest but I guess there is nothing wrong with "paid editing" if it
follows the policies and guidelines of Wikipedia. Experienced editors
write better articles, people with lots of experience in their
favourite field write better articles, and since article writing is
really hard work (unless, of course, you're doing it all wrong)
editors usually pick a few themes and work on it. It is understandable
that if someone would like to have a topic covered and would like to
convince someone to write THAT article instead of other ones then it
may mean some way of convincing, money or otherwise. Well written
articles have much better chance to stay and evolve.

There is no compulsory (or proven, mind you) connection between
monetary compensation and violation of policies, and especially
experienced editors with good reputation will not want to skew
viewpoints just because they are compensated. And still it's very much
open to community editing these articles so nobody, however well paid,
could assure anyone that negative facts will not appear in time.

I'd worry more about dishonest editing than paid ones.

Thanks. Now, please, continue.