[Wikimedia-l] WMF employee writing articles for $300

Russavia russavia.wikipedia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 06:51:52 UTC 2014

If anyone is interested, since this issue was raised, there has been a
change to Sarah's profile on odesk.

The entry for "Wikipedia Page for Individual" is now rated 5 stars,
and has the comment "Thanks, Sarah!  I really appreciate you!".

Sarah has also been active on Wikipedia. I can understand that she is
under a lot of stress right now, but she seriously needs to confirm or
deny that she is engaging in undisclosed paid editing.

She's been asked to comment at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:SarahStierch#Editing_mentioned
and the issue is being discussed at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#Paid_editing_by_WMF_employee_on_oDesk

As per the Odesk Terms of Service (https://www.odesk.com/info/terms/)
the company is locatred in Redwood City (San Francisco) and as per
their Privacy Policy (https://www.odesk.com/info/terms/privacy/) under
"Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement." they state:

"oDesk cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and
private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose
any information about you to government or law enforcement officials
or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or
appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not
limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of oDesk or
a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or
to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk
of being, illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity."

Whilst oDesk apparently requires people to provide methods by which
they can be paid (which would further indicate it is indeed Sarah), if
it is a joe-job account that would obviously come under the "illegal,
unethical or legally actionable activity", and if someone is passing
themselves off as Sarah, and even receiving payment as her, then as a
"private party" (as noted in their privacy policy) she would obviously
be able to pursue the joe-job person in the courts for a whole host of
probably criminal and civil offences, and would expect her to follow
through on this, because this would obviously reflect on her as both a
private and public person.