[Wikimedia-l] Wikidata, templates, Modules Lua

Anders Wennersten mail at anderswennersten.se
Sun Jan 5 11:41:06 UTC 2014

On sv:wp we are several hundreds of competent and active contributers.
Many of these have limited technical competence, so it will only be
about a third of these able to enter iw links in wikidata and writing a
template. This still leaves a few hundreds who easily supports the other
2/3rds with this competence

But when in comes understand the other parts of Wikidata and how to get
that data into articles and templates, the number dwindles leaving only
about 50 understanding this. It is still enough to discuss and give
general broader support but it is starting to become a bottleneck in
implementing broader usage of Wikidata. Then we come to the fact that
for a successful implementation you need to develop Modules written i
Lua. And here it is needed full programming comptence, and on sv:wp
there will only be 5-10 having this level of competence. And this then
becomes a subcritical mass as these persons  do not have the ambition to
develop Modules for others. Also two of these competent ones are
employed by WMSE, perhaps this is typical, if you have that level of
competence you will be very busy in your paid profession as sw developer.

We are now in a discussions in WMSE and the community if it would be
acceptable that chapter resources help in writing Lua code in Modules
for people in the community in need but lacking that competence? It is
not a volume or cost issue as it is still no major effort, but more a
principle one  if if can be Ok in this way to make the Chapter not only
support the community but also in this direct way creating thing for
Wikipedia.

Are there experince from other communities or chapters on this dilemma?

Anders