[Wikimedia-l] Public Domain Day

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Fri Jan 3 19:49:25 UTC 2014

On 03.01.2014 15:03, Romaine Wiki wrote:
> hello all!
>
> January 1st was Public Domain Day [1] and after xx years of
> copyright, it expires on the first of January of the year after. As
> result hundreds of images were restored on Commons on the 1-1-2014,
> but many of them did not get a place in articles on Wikipedia and her
> sister projects.
>
> I added all the restored media to this gallery:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Romaine/Public_Domain_Day/2013
>
> Everyone is invited to place those images in appropriate places in
> articles!
>

> Romaine

Hi Romaine,

did you take the URAA provisions into account? I am afraid most of the
files we though would be free are in fact not free: If the author died
in 1943, in most of the countries the works were not free in 1996, which
is the URAA dead hour. Then the date should be not 70 years from the
death of the author but 95 years since creation (except if the work was
created before 1923), which means only pre-1923 works become free.

Cheers
Yaroslav