[Wikimedia-l] Some of Wikipedia's most important tools are broken

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 17:26:35 UTC 2013

Yeah..I've noticed that with a lot of tools, whether on the toolserver or
on labs. The tool I use monthly is:

http://tools.wmflabs.org/glamtools/treeviews/

I ping Magnus all the time and he does his best to fix any issues and now i
just feel like a broken record each month. It is stifling my reports as a
Wikipedian in Residence to UNESCO and the Library of Congress :(

It's really tough to function without it, and so many other tools anymore.

-Sarah

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM, James Heilman <jmh649 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of the key tool's which I use on a daily basis (and their workarounds)
> no longer work.
>
> The tool I use the most of any is the autofill for PMID and ISBN's. The one
> in the edit box has not worked for some time and the backup
> http://diberri.crabdance.com/cgi-bin/templatefiller/index.cgi? stopped
> working today. The second backup still works a bit thankfully
> https://toolserver.org/~holek/cite-gen/index.php
>
> Another great tool is the dashboard. Its toolserver account has expired.
> http://wikidashboard.appspot.com/enwiki/wiki/Obesity I find this strange
> that if a users account has expired all the tools stop working. This would
> be like if I stopped editing Wikipedia for a couple of months than all my
> contributions would be deleted.
>
> So the question is should the WMF be helping keep some of these tools up
> and running? Many of us long term editors have come to heavily rely on
> them.
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedian*
*www.sarahstierch.com*