[Wikimedia-l] Some of Wikipedia's most important tools are broken

James Heilman jmh649 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 17:24:03 UTC 2013

Some of the key tool's which I use on a daily basis (and their workarounds)
no longer work.

The tool I use the most of any is the autofill for PMID and ISBN's. The one
in the edit box has not worked for some time and the backup
http://diberri.crabdance.com/cgi-bin/templatefiller/index.cgi? stopped
working today. The second backup still works a bit thankfully
https://toolserver.org/~holek/cite-gen/index.php

Another great tool is the dashboard. Its toolserver account has expired.
http://wikidashboard.appspot.com/enwiki/wiki/Obesity I find this strange
that if a users account has expired all the tools stop working. This would
be like if I stopped editing Wikipedia for a couple of months than all my
contributions would be deleted.

So the question is should the WMF be helping keep some of these tools up
and running? Many of us long term editors have come to heavily rely on them.
--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine