[Wikimedia-l] Some of Wikipedia's most important tools are broken

John phoenixoverride at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 17:47:27 UTC 2013

Actually the toolserver's practice is not deactivating inactive users.
Users accounts are active for 6 months. One month before the account is set
to expire they start to receive email notifications . There are no less
than 6 reminders sent out before the account is disabled. It takes less
than 3 minutes to log into the toolserver and renew your account Its just a
single command. If a tool author cannot do that, the odds are the tool is
no longer being supported and that issues about the tool are not being
fixed. In most cases disabling the account is the correct thing to do.