[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia blog moving to WordPress.com

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 13:19:17 UTC 2013

That said, WordPress is the best blogging software because it does
everything you'd want a blog to do. Moving from that to cobbling
together a blog in MediaWiki would be like moving to TiddlyWiki
because MediaWiki is hard.

As someone who has to administer WordPress for work, I think almost
everyone who self-hosts WordPress should just be outsourcing it to
wordpress.com. (I self-host my own sites 'cos I'm a control addict and
because I know enough to do it relatively safely.)

* security hole of the month, requiring immediate upgrade to latest
* keeping PHP from eating all your memory (fiddling with fcgid)
* multisite functionality is weird, clunky and frequently just doesn't
work properly
* wp-cron.php is an abomination and should be disabled wherever possible
* etc etc.

So outsourcing it is basically a good idea - if we can meet privacy
policy and, more stringently, privacy *expectations*. Expectations are
going to be more stringent than the letter of the policy, but we
should still meet them for the blog just as well as we presently do.

- d.