[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia blog moving to WordPress.com

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 13:08:25 UTC 2013

On 8 September 2013 13:16, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Because turning MediaWiki from a terrible blogging platform into a
> good one (comment management and blog-style RSS at absolute minimum)
> would be more work than even maintaining our own WordPress
> installation.

Chatting with Rupert about this just now, he pointed out that Wikinews
does RSS just fine:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GoogleNewsSitemap

The URL is ugly (but that's why mod_rewrite exists):

https://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NewsFeed&feed=atom&categories=Published&notcategories=No%20publish|Archived|AutoArchived|disputed&namespace=0&count=30&hourcount=124&ordermethod=categoryadd&stablepages=only

So that's that problem actually solved (and I thought that'd be the hard one).

Comments remain a problem: LiquidThreads is unloved and largely
unmaintained, and Flow is barely started.

- d.