[Wikimedia-l] Thoughts on Admin Rights on WMF Wiki (and other things)

Deryck Chan deryckchan at wikimedia.hk
Sun May 26 09:27:03 UTC 2013

In contrast to my post in the original thread (that I'm sceptical about how
long WMF wiki will survive without volunteer admins), I do think the WMF is
allowed their own piece of turf.

In general, when there's an "owner" of a WMF-hosted wiki, we generally
allow the "owner" group to have totalitarian control over who gets
adminship of the wiki. (eg. chapter wikis, Wikimania wikis - I'm grateful
that thehelpfulone respected the WM2013's local team's request to not grant
adminship to anyone without the team's explicit approval.)

Now it comes to the WMF's own wiki, and we freak out when WMF wants their
piece of turf back. True that the WMF wiki has *traditionally* been
community-managed; but that was an exception because of how old this wiki
is. With the legal responsibility of the WMF at stake, I do think the
community should be nice to the WMF (for once!) and let them keep the *
nominal* control over the wiki. (I say "nominal" because, as many have
pointed out, raw HTML can be used on the WMF wiki, which kind of means that
anyone entrusted with a WMF wiki account can still screw everyone over if
they so wish.)

Deryck