[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikimedia Servers and Copyright Issues (David Cuenca)

Geoff Brigham gbrigham at wikimedia.org
Mon May 13 05:03:41 UTC 2013

*

Hi Theo,

Thank you for your email.  I'm truly sorry that you feel this way.  I have
been thinking for some time about the issue of finding alternative
solutions to Golan-type issues, and frankly I have not been too optimistic
in the past.  I think it is an important issue to our mission, however, and
I would like to take a closer look to make sure there is not a better
solution out there.  Achal did contact me about it.   Although I have
tremendous respect for Achal, his contact was not the reason for my desire
to look into this further with the community.  As General Counsel, I tend
to exercise my own independent judgment.  I have received a number of
inquiries and I am aware of the past discussions, and, to be honest, the
issue has been bugging me for some time: I’m not at all sure there is a
solution but I would like to look more closely, especially given the
ongoing community concern and available resources the coming month.  If you
- or any other community member - had contacted me directly, that, in
addition to the community discussions, would have been important to me as
well.  If the community feels this is a bad use of my resources, I am more
than willing to reconsider, but I don’t believe that is what people are
saying.

It is true that I do not post substantive statements on wikimedia-l
anymore.  I focus on my team leaving more detailed and comprehensive
my point of view, these venues allow for a more comprehensive development
of sometimes difficult legal issues, serve as a more permanent source for
future reference and cross-links, and allow for greater community
participation on the issue at hand.  I do try to announce and cross-link to
important legal postings via announce-l and wikimedia-l.

I was surprised to hear that individuals and committees are waiting weeks
for responses from Legal.   We try to be as responsive as possible.
 Sometimes people ask tough questions, and it takes time for us to figure
out the issue with the individual or committee at issue.  But we stay in
close contact with those people, often sharing our thinking or drafts and
incorporating their feedback.  With AffCom, for example, we have been quite
interactive as we try to figure out the naming issue and other legal
issues.  Sometimes the discussion takes longer than we all would like, but
our practice, I believe, is to stay responsive and interactive as we work
out the solutions with our community members.

If you want to discuss with me offline or on the telephone, I will be more
than happy to do so (as I would with anybody in our community).

Take care,

Geoff

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilegal

[2] http://blog.wikimedia.org/c/legal/