[Wikimedia-l] Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Sun May 12 22:40:44 UTC 2013

On 05/12/2013 04:42 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> The most he could ask from you is a comment on how frequently you have
> to be the one "pushing the button" against the community.

Again with this meme!

"Against the community".

*NOBODY* works "against the community".  Sometimes, we do things that
displease part, or most of the community.  Sometimes, there are
mistakes, flubbed judgment calls, and boneheaded gaffes.  By accident,
confusion or miscommunication, the community might have been harmed.
Occasionally, even, someone acts like a human and does something in
anger or stupidity that was clearly wrong in retrospect.

But "Against the community" means seeing the community as an adversary,
and acting to undermine or harm it.  The very *attitude* necessary to
say this is what causes those problems, trying to paint "Us vs. Them" on
what should be collaboration.

If you think Philippe - or through him Gayle - did what they did
"against the community", then you have already have abandoned any
pretense of good faith towards the foundation and towards them
personally.  Unless you can back your assertions of malice, please take
them elsewhere.

</rant>

-- Marc