[Wikimedia-l] And content - Re: WikiReaders4Kids

Mathias Damour mathias.damour at laposte.net
Sun May 5 18:31:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

How should be token into consideration the low readability of Wikipedia,
which was pointed out by some recent studies, as far as this device is
devoted to children ?
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/11/29/wikimedia-research-newsletter-november-2012/#Readability_of_the_English_Wikipedia.2C_Simple_Wikipedia.2C_and_Britannica_compared

There is Simple English Wikipedia as far as English is concerned. For
other language, there is the *Wikikids* proposal that has had some
activity recently and 2 or 3 existing and well running wiki for children.
That's about setting a frame pulled after the existing wikis for kids,
to make good work, associate potential editors (including children), and
then (notably ;-)) to supply a WikiReaders4Kids with suitable and
quality content a few years later !
Present step is to assemble a comparison between those existing wikis to
help to work out what should be the basic principles for such a project.
Have a look at it !
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikids

--
Mathias Damour