[Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

rupert THURNER rupert.thurner at gmail.com
Sun May 5 18:27:20 UTC 2013

hehehe, victor, you are cool. because its a private initiative you use
your wikimedia mail account to advertise for it, in the video you make
sure that everybody konws you work for wikimedia foundation? the price
you give is interesting as well. on your money collection page you
write the devices cost 25 usd. on amazon they sell it for 9 usd. the
original price 5 years ago was 99 usd, where one could have a 29 usd
subscription to get the contents updated.

i do not have a problem with all of this. i like your work you do, i
like the enthusiasm, i like that you guys do this voluntary. and i
especially like that you are able to think big.

but what really stroke me: you say you would not buy it. if you would
not buy it, what makes you so sure that it will be of use for somebody
else? for children who like to see pictures? probably not. for adults
who will have smartphones in 2 years time? probably not as well.

you might be interested in reading the report of the united nations
environment program coming out of the "E-Waste Africa Project":
http://www.basel.int/Implementation/TechnicalAssistance/EWaste/EwasteAfricaProject/tabid/2546/Default.aspx?overlayId=ArtId-468

"Africa has been undergoing rapid ICT transformation in recent years,
attempting to bridge this divide by importing second-hand or used
computers, mobile phones, and TVsets from developed countries. The
countries of the region, however, lack the infrastructure and
resources for the environmentally sound management (ESM) of electrical
and electronic waste (e-waste) arising when such imports reach their
end-of-life."

rupert.