[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia (Foundation) endowment

Fae faewik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 08:45:26 UTC 2013

I enjoyed Ting's perception, he always seems to have a viewpoint
reliably in the center of the Wikimedia movement.

I previously pushed for a commitment to perpetuity, including a 100
year plan for basic backup. The operational side of our movement
failed to either understand why this is important, or properly to
respond to a relatively simple proposal for a better strategy.

Should an endowment run the risk of establishing a century spanning
immovable bureaucracy, then our shared open knowledge vision, must be
far greater than the English Wikipedia, bigger than Wikipedia, span
wider than any Wikimedia project. These projects have a natural
lifespan of less than a decade, not generations.

Until the movement is ready to lay out a serious vision and strategy
that covers the next 100 years, we are not ready to justify asking
donors for hundreds of millions of dollars to stick in a WMF managed
investment account. This alone would create a potential for
reputational risk so great, it could wipe out the Wikimedia brand, and
our stake in the open knowledge movement, permanently.

Thanks,
Fae
faewik at gmail.com
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/mfae