[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia (Foundation) endowment

Anders Wennersten mail at anderswennersten.se
Mon Mar 18 08:40:22 UTC 2013

Ting Chen skrev 2013-03-18 08:20:

> So far, my thoughts. As I said all my private opinions, and some of
> them certainly very primitive and unprofessional. I am happy to get
> feedbacks and critics and learn from them.

I wonder if our thoughts on an endowment depends on our presupposition
on what the purpose of an endowment would be.

You seem to think of  fund to ease uneven funding from year to year and
if this would be the purpose I would agree to your concerns

My thought is of a fund to be used in extreme situations, many many
years ahead from now, if "nightmare" scenarios would occur in 30-60
years from now, to ensure the content of our projects will still be
accessible for all  free of charge.

And in my perspective I am in no hurry getting it up, it could be part
of our next 5 year strategic plan to get it going

But I would like to see as MZ suggest, that we as son as possible look
into the technicalities of an endowment so we have a common
understanding what we mean when we discuss this further.

Anders