[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia (Foundation) endowment

Dariusz Jemielniak darekj at alk.edu.pl
Mon Mar 18 09:03:45 UTC 2013

hi Fae,

I share your commitment to avoiding a bureaucratic monster. However, I have
to practically point out, that in our case any vision and strategy of a
long time horizon is a grave mistake. We can't predict technologies and
Internet trends 10 years in the future, so even vision creation beyond this
point is a dangerously blinding and binding exercise. Strategy creation and
its time horizon have to be based on the stability of the environment. The
only business I know of that relies on something close to 100 years of time
horizon for strategy is forestry. We, on the other hand, are in the
Internet business, and going beyond 5 years in terms of strategic plans,
and beyond 10 years in terms of long-term powerful visions is more likely
to lull us to sleep, rather than help.

best,

dariusz ("pundit")