[Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots)

Per A.J. Andersson paja at telia.com
Mon Jun 17 20:22:29 UTC 2013

Hi!

Nice to know German language Wikipedia is full of sane people.
Good for you.

But maybe you don't need bots, so that's your decision. (You do
not need infoboxes either, as I see it, and that's also your
decision. Lsjbot makes infoboxes, among other things.)

Yes, a larger database is more of a burden to support than a
smaller one. Our experience at svwp is that automated help does
not take away from the human part of the user community.
Personally I think a larger database of comparable quality
(built by any method) makes for a larger footprint = a greater
chance of catching new editors. Wikipedia did that for me.

My view on it is that larger communities can sustain and
maintain a certain database easier than smaller communities.
Wikipedia communities to a large extent depend on the language
size surrounding it. We already have automation around us at
several levels, and there are editing tools that make for faster
editing – by humans. The use of these are seldom questioned.

Best of wishes,
/Per A.J. Andersson
user Paracel63 at svwp
(carbon-based lifeform from Sweden)