[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] PRISM, government surveillance, and Wikimedia: Request for community feedback

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sat Jun 15 18:13:12 UTC 2013

> The reporting in the UK is that it is aimed at 'foreigners'. I think that
> is us! Of course that may be for domestic US consumption.

Yes, the thing is, we are an international organization, and, frankly, we
don't vet people politically before they can create an account or edit.
Our trust system is based on their behavior here, not what else they may
be doing in their life. It is inevitable that from time to time we may be
in communication with people that are out of favor with the United States
government. However, I think that is so rare that neither American
intelligence services nor us should waste much time on it. There is a
vanishingly small chance that a request might be directed to us. I doubt
expending hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting such a request is the
best use of our money, but consensus may be different. It is pretty cheap
putting on a brave face when there is little actual danger.

Fred