[Wikimedia-l] PRISM

Tomasz W. Kozlowski tomasz at twkozlowski.net
Mon Jun 10 10:59:14 UTC 2013

Tobias wrote:

> I think Wikimedia should protest openly against such unethical
> surveillance. While previous posts have pointed out that indeed
> Wikipedia contains less private information than Facebook or Google, it
> still has a lot that should remain private. Most notably access logs of
> both readers and authors.

If Wikimedia is not involved in the scandal, then it should not get
involved in it on its own accord. We protested against DDL
intercettazioni, SOPA and PIPA and the 139-FZ Act in Russia (among
others) because they were /directly/ threatening the very existence of
our projects.

However, in this case I cannot see how what the NSA might or might not
have done is related to us, and I not think we should aim to introduce
"protest blindness" (see [[banner blindness]] for reference).

Should I start an AWWDPAIM (Association of Wikimedians Who Dislike
Protesting Against Irrelevant Matters), perhaps?

	-- Tomasz