[Wikimedia-l] PRISM

Tobias church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 10 10:33:03 UTC 2013

On 06/10/2013 03:17 AM, Liam Wyatt wrote:
> This is a simple question with a potentially very complicated answer.....
>
> What, if any, are the implications of the PRISM scandal for Wikimedia?
> Does the fact that our servers are based in the US now compromise our
> mission either in a technical, privacy or an ethical sense?

I think Wikimedia should protest openly against such unethical
surveillance. While previous posts have pointed out that indeed
Wikipedia contains less private information than Facebook or Google, it
still has a lot that should remain private. Most notably access logs of
both readers and authors.

Note that the Wikimedia Foundation could be gagged from informing the
community about privacy leaks
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security_letter).

Free knowledge for everyone only works if everyone can safely access it
without having to fear that third parties might be looking over the
shoulder. It is in our core interest to ensure that the privacy of our
users is respected.

-- Tobias