[Wikimedia-l] PRISM

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 10 22:15:00 UTC 2013

Hi, all-

For your information, we have not been approached to participate in
PRISM, and we have never received or honored an NSA or FISA subpoena
or order.  If we were to be approached in the future, we would reject
participation in any PRISM-type program to the maximum extent possible
and challenge in court any such demand, since this sort of program, as
described in the press, contradicts our core values of a free Internet
and open, neutral access to knowledge.

We should have a blog post up within the next few days to discuss
PRISM and our values in more detail; we will pass that along here when
it is posted.

Thanks-
Luis, Geoff, and Stephen

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a simple question with a potentially very complicated answer.....
>
> What, if any, are the implications of the PRISM scandal for Wikimedia?
> Does the fact that our servers are based in the US now compromise our
> mission either in a technical, privacy or an ethical sense?
>

> - Liam / Wittylama
>

> --
> wittylama.com
> Peace, love & metadata

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about
the mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for
legal/ethical reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a
lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff members in their
personal capacity.