[Wikimedia-l] [Internal-l] 2013-2014 Round 1 FDC eligibility status & IRC office hours

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Thu Jul 18 08:34:38 UTC 2013

Thanks Sam for the clarification. I'm sorry to hear this was not discussed
in the board apparently. I hope you will be able to share the outcome of
that discussion to remove any uncertainty that may have remained.

I do agree that there was no major change in how the annual plan was
handled this year - but I tried to put things in a perspective. The WMF did
not try to 'compensate' the lack of FDC process this year by for example
publishing the draft annual plan or financial plan earlier in the process
for community review. I remain of the opinion (also towards chapters) that
sharing early drafts to what they consider their memberships is often a
good thing.

While the FDC decision on the WMF request may not have been unanimous,
since the fiscal year was fully started, people had been hired and even
paid for, I don't think it would have been possible for them to make
serious cuts. By the suboptimal process that was followed, it was
definitely afterwards, and as the input for the process had already been
board approved and also the output decision was a board decision, besides
the fact that there is a whole discussion possible over core/non-core, I
would have been very very surprised if anything else than 100% approval
would have been the result. This is of course also why this process is
changed. My point here was primarily that with all its flaws, not even this
process was followed this year. Because imho it *was* indeed an improvement
over the years before.

Anasuya: My apologies for being confusing. I was of course referring to the
approval of the WMF 2013/2014 non-core activities, not so much to the
2013/2014 FDC process. I understand from your email that you're confirming
the clear explanation by Anders Wennersten. Thank you for that.

Kind regards,
Lodewijk