[Wikimedia-l] Are chapters part of the community and board seats for affiliates?

Fae faewik at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 10:54:34 UTC 2013

On 24 February 2013 10:27, Balázs Viczián <balazs.viczian at wikimedia.hu> wrote:
> Maybe I wasn't clear enough, imo chapters are NOT part of the communities
> (nor the global community), just a tool for them to achieve certain goals
> that otherwise would be much more difficult or (almost) impossible to reach.

+1

With the logical extension that so are AffCom, the FDC, the WCA, the
WMF ... If these tools become ineffective, then we should look again
at what we (the movement) need in our tool box. Indeed I believe we
have been doing precisely that by creating the FDC and the WCA in the
last two years and the WMF has strategically been 'narrowing focus'.

As an unpaid volunteer and thus with no vested interest, I would be
perfectly happy with a completely new and improved tool box for
Christmas. It is only human nature that it is much, much harder to see
the world this way and accept change, when your employment may depend
on the existing tools.

Thanks,
Fae
Ashley Van Haeften (Fae) faewik at gmail.com