[Wikimedia-l] Are chapters part of the community and board seats for affiliates?

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 11:14:03 UTC 2013

Balázs Viczián, 24/02/2013 11:27:
> Maybe I wasn't clear enough, imo chapters are NOT part of the communities
> (nor the global community), just a tool for them to achieve certain goals
> that otherwise would be much more difficult or (almost) impossible to reach.

Here we are, this is one of the things I wanted to point out (maybe one
by one it's easier): a "chapter" is not a person, of course it's not a
"community member"... but (IMHO) *of course* chapter members are
Wikimedia community members.
Logical consequence: the "chapter" meant as "set of the chapter members"
is a subset of the community and hence a "part of the community".

The /structure/ of the chapter (assembly, board, president, ...) may
work well or not, "represent" some obscure interests of the chapter
members or not, further the (mysterious) "interests" of "the"* community
at large or not, etc. etc. etc. But that's an entirely different matter.

Nemo

(*) If you don't understand the quotes here, please read Anthere's
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/6652 again.