[Wikimedia-l] Big Fat Brussels Gathering

Jan Engelmann jan.engelmann at wikimedia.de
Tue Feb 19 17:06:20 UTC 2013

tl;dr Issues like copyright are crucial for us. So let’s join forces
in Brussels to make a difference. All we need is a bunch of smart
people.

Dear fellow Wikimedians,

it’s been quite some time since we have talked on various occasions
about the need for the European Wikimedia chapters to join their
forces in the political arena. Regarding the threats for Free
Knowledge which derive from harmful legislation, it just might be the
right moment to reassess our current practices and take a huge step
forward, as a loose combination of chapter representatives and
volunteers.

An according EU policy project is already being prepared. User:Dimi z
[1], a Wikimedian currently based in Brussels, versed and active in
political affairs, did the hard job to gather the required amount of
information to finally get started. He created a document on Meta [2]
which might serve as a starting point to exchange and develop ideas.

== What’s at stake? ==

Concerning European regulations, we have to develop a clear and
unified position on major legislative and political changes affecting
our mission, which is to create a better environment for Free
Knowledge. Building upon the tremendous efforts of Brussels-based NGOs
like EDRI [3] and La Quadrature Du Net [4], we should take the job to
speak for the Wikimedia movement and its particular role in, let’s
say, the ongoing Copyright Wars.

To build a sustainable model for advocacy it is necessary to

* monitor EU policy proceedings and initiatives
* comprehensively inform the participating chapters and communities
about EU dossiers
* initiate discussions about what is desirable or might be risky for Wikimedia
* take action where necessary
* reach out to like-minded projects and communities

== OK, point taken. But HOW shall we do this? ==

Firstly, we are dedicated to a culture of sharing and a significant
level of transparency. So we need to work in Brussels in accordance to
our principles which differ remarkably from the “black box” approach
usually applied by industry representatives.

Secondly, we are searching for an organizational basis that follows
our capacities. So let’s come up with a smart, inclusive structure
that ensures easy access and leaves enough space for latecomers or
people that engage only occasionally.

Thirdly, we need someone on site. Since we have to give established
institutions and public officials a face, a name, and a direct way to
contact us, a specific contact person in Brussels would be more than
useful. S/he needs to know everything about the drafting process of
relevant directives and regulations, find access to political parties
and hangs out in the preferred bars of staff members working for
Neelie Kroes, Michael Barnier or Androulla Vassiliou.

== In a nutshell: Imagine a working group, which ==

* does lobbying - but in full disclosure, on the open stage
* seeks strategic alliances, but not only with affiliated organizations
* partly consists of full-time-employees, but heavily relies on
volunteer-engagement

== Interested in being a part of it? ==

Let’s get started and talk about this challenge! Your input and ideas
on the aforementioned Meta page are highly appreciated. To discuss the
working methods of an EU Policy Group and develop a project plan
together, we suggest to meet face-to-face in Brussels for one day and
a half. Wikimedia Deutschland would be happy to organize this
kick-off-gathering in March/April. We’d like to ask interested
Wikimedians to join us there. Please use the doodle below to identify
the most suitable date:

http://doodle.com/ntiz6gup7z49e7p5

(Please choose either a friday/saturday or saturday/sunday option.)

Looking forward to seeing you all in Brussels,

Jan Engelmann

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Dimi_z
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/EU_Policy
[3] http://www.edri.org/
[4] http://www.laquadrature.net/

--
Jan Engelmann
Leiter Politik & Gesellschaft

Telefon 030 - 219 158 26-0
www.wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

**** Helfen Sie mit, dass WIKIPEDIA von der UNESCO als erstes
digitales Weltkulturerbe anerkannt wird. Unterzeichnen Sie die
Online-Petition! http://wikipedia.de ****