[Wikimedia-l] Looking back at the London Conference

Markus Glaser markus.glaser at wikimedia.de
Thu Feb 21 13:19:20 UTC 2013

Hi Charles,

from the feedback we had about the WCA, IMHO we need to consider two
different issues:
* we are criticised for focussing on structures too much. In London, as
you can see in the protocol [1], we discussed several options including
the one about an executive board, but decided to let form follow
function and leave any structural debate for now. Of course, I cannot
stop you from doing so, but I will try and focus my time on doing actual
work until Milan.
* be it justified or not, several key players in the Wikimedia universe
do have issues with Fae being Chair. Personally, I value Fae's work a
lot. But we need to address the concerns of the world outside the
Chapters unless we keep thinking of the WCA as a lonely (non-)player
without any relation to the other entities in this Wikimedia world. I
respect Fae's decision to react to the current situation and bring
forward the election. Whoever will be (re-)elected, we will have a Chair
with a lot more support then.

I quite like your initiative in creating this survey, thanks for this.
At the same time, may I ask you if you coordinated this with Ziko and
Michail, who volunteered to do some research along the same lines as you
suggested [2]? I should think it makes sense to bundle similar
initiatives. What I'd like to avoid is that every WCA council member
starts rushing into their own projects.

Best,
Markus

[1]