[Wikimedia-l] Resolution: Media about living people

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 19:26:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org> wrote:

> (just for the record: I'm not particularly against this amendment, I
> actually never assumed that files would be treated differently from texts
> anyway in this kind of stuff. Just plain curiosity.)

Neither did the board, which is why we passed the amendment -- because
there seemed to be some confusion on the matter :)

My take on the resolution -- not formally speaking for the board -- is
what I said on Commons: that the board feels Wikimedians should
exercise equal care when dealing with all portrayals of living people
on our various projects. So while the resolution is not meant to drive
to a very specific change and was not in response to any single
incident, it is meant as a statement of principles that we can use to
guide the development of process and policy -- and as with our past
resolution about images of individual people, I think we should
examine our policies and decisions in light of these principles.

best,
Phoebe