[Wikimedia-l] Single User Login finalisation: some accounts will be renamed

James Forrester jforrester at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 30 03:34:57 UTC 2013

Fae,

Though I understand the concern that users will have, the need to
rename a relatively-small number of accounts is a technical
requirement that has been built into our system since SUL was designed
c. 2005; it was switched on in early 2008. This has (sadly) been on
the back-burner for too many years now, and efforts to finalise things
have repeatedly stalled. By waiting, and not wanting to bite the
bullet, we have increased (significantly) the number of accounts
affected by this, and discussing it further will certainly not reduce
that fact. That said, the vast majority of accounts affected will not
be actively used - and if your account is already global (as you will
be informed against "Global account status" in your preferences), this
will not affect your account in any way.

This is, primarily, a developer action necessary to improve the site
and provide better tools for our users (like cross-wiki notifications
and watchlists, giving limited editing rights to a tool editing
through your account, and others). Of course, we are sensitive to the
emotional attachment that users will have to their account's name, and
I do not want to make light of that. We have worked hard over the past
few months to help ameliorate this with better tools for renaming
accounts (so that users who are affected can pick a new name that they
like more easily), which will ease the transition. But discussing it
further will not make it go away.

Yours,