[Wikimedia-l] Single User Login finalisation: some accounts will be renamed

Fae faewik at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 02:38:02 UTC 2013

Hi James, thanks for the links.

Keeping in mind that there will be users that unexpectedly find their
much loved account name changed the next time they try to log in, and
this may be central to their established online wiki identity, is
there a community discussion that we can point to where this approach
was consulted on?

Thanks,
Fae

On 30 April 2013 03:29, James Forrester <jforrester at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> The developer team at Wikimedia is making some changes to how accounts
> work, as part of our on-going efforts to provide new and better tools
> for our users (like cross-wiki notifications). These changes will mean
> users have the same account name everywhere, will let us give you new
> features that will help you edit & discuss better, and will allow more
> flexible user permissions for tools. One of the pre-conditions for
> this is that user accounts will now have to be unique across all 900
> Wikimedia wikis.[0]
>
> Unfortunately, some accounts are currently not unique across all our
> wikis, but instead clash with other users who have the same account
> name. To make sure that all of these users can use Wikimedia's wikis
> in future, we will be renaming a number of accounts to have "~” and
> the name of their wiki added to the end of their accounts' name. This
> change will take place on or around 27 May. For example, a user called
> “Example” on the Swedish Wiktionary who will be renamed would become
> “Example~svwiktionary”.
>
> All accounts will still work as before, and will continue to be
> credited for all their edits made so far. However, users with renamed
> accounts (whom we will be contacting individually) will have to use
> the new account name when they log in.
>
> It will now only be possible for accounts to be renamed globally; the
> RenameUser tool will no longer work on a local basis - since all
> accounts must be globally unique - therefore it will be withdrawn from
> bureaucrats' tool sets. It will still be possible for users to ask on
> Meta for their account to be renamed further, if they do not like
> their new user name, once this takes place.
>
> A copy of this note is posted to meta [1] for translation. Please
> forward this to your local communities, and help get it translated.
> Individuals who are affected will be notified via talk page and e-mail
> notices nearer the time.
>
> [0] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Unified_login
> [1] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Single_User_Login_finalisation_announcement
>
> Yours,
> --
> James D. Forrester
> Product Manager, VisualEditor
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> jforrester at wikimedia.org | @jdforrester

faewik at gmail.com http://j.mp/faewm
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/mfae
Personal and confidential. Unless otherwise stated, do not copy, quote
or forward this email for any reason without permission.