[Wikimedia-l] Inequitable power dynamics of global knowledge production and exchange must be confronted head on

Everton Zanella Alvarenga tom at wikimedia.org
Mon Apr 29 12:21:29 UTC 2013

Please, see

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2013/04/29/redrawing-the-map-from-access-to-participation/

Worth thinking on the impact this can also have on Wikimedia projects when
it comes to the actual knowledge
divide<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_divide>,
mainly like Wikipedia, which aggregates knowledge in the form of a
encyclopedia through reliable sources.

This reminds me the reason why organizations like Article
19<http://www.article19.org/>were created (private communication with
a friend who worked there), where
a UNESCO report from the 80's already pointed out such divide (I have to
remember the name of the report).

To face this reality is a way for we try to learn what can be done in terms
of metrics on our global projects.

(Although I must tell my biggest concern now is that we from the global
south - or whatever you call it, maybe we could call the big fraction of
the world without access to knowledge - have access to scientific and
educational knowledge.)

Tom

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful