[Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 08:33:48 UTC 2013

Deryck Chan, 29/04/2013 00:52:
> [...]
> At this point, I believe it's an appropriate time for me to announce my
> resignation and retirement from all my official Wikimedia roles - as
> Administrative Assistant and WCA Council Member of WMHK. [...]

Thanks Deryck for your commitment. I'm very sorry that you invested so
much energy in serving as guinea pig for the FDC process, and I
sympathise with your decision: as volunteers, we must focus on what lets
us achieve more.

It's very clear (to me) that the WMF grants system is not designed to
make Wikimedia entities grow, but only to reinforce those which are
already strong enough, keeping them at the same level they're at. On the
bright side, experienced and valuable movement members like you and WMHK
can always find a way to use their intelligence and have an impact
within Wikimedia, despite external obstacles, *if* you don't rely on a
blocker/bottleneck outside your wiki/project/chapter/group (it's the
wiki way). Applying to FDC proved a mistake but now you and your fellow
chapter members can support each other in reassessing priorities and
finding a new motivation.

Nemo