[Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 18 12:42:44 UTC 2013

>  Those said, I don't use Twitter in the first place, so I really have no
>>> idea what kind of gap you would like to fill with your feature.
>>>

>>>  *rolls eyes*
>>
>> Sorry, I don't mean to be snippy but this discussion always frustrates me.
>> It's the sort of elitest tech snobbery (anti-social-networks, lack of
>> understanding of how 90% of the world use the web, etc.) we suffer from.
>>

> All appologies, while I for sure have a tech background, I didn't meant to
> sound elitist. On the contrary, I'm asking you to explain me what is the
> obvious need that you hope to fill with such a feature and that couldn't be
> achieved within Wikimedia,

What would it achieve? Well, people share content all over the web to their
network; Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, etc. Facilitating this is
obvious The reason it hasn't happened yet is that the editing community
seems generally politically against the idea of social networks, so
anything relating to them is evil! ;)

Why should be only be building and sharing content within Wikimedia? The
vast majority of the consumers of the site could not care one thing about
"within Wikimedia", and that is fine. Foisting it upon them is the poor
approach :D

> espcecialy with the coming Echo extension.

I'm not sure how the Echo extension is relevant to sharing Wikipedia
content as widely as possible. It's an internal notification system. :S I'd
be *very *disappointed to see us build a system for sharing content
internally (which is what you appear to be advocating), that is not our
purpose (to be a social network).

>> Of course sharing buttons would be wonderful for our readers - that is the
>> whole point of the internet, facilitating the building of the web of
>> links!
>>

> Sure, but I just don't understand what prevent you from building links
> within Mediawiki.

See above; are you really suggesting that no one should be sharing content
outside of Mediawiki?? ;)

Tom