[Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Thu Apr 18 13:39:40 UTC 2013

Le 2013-04-18 14:42, Thomas Morton a écrit :
>>  Those said, I don't use Twitter in the first place, so I really
>> have no

>>> Sorry, I don't mean to be snippy but this discussion always
>>> frustrates me.
>>> It's the sort of elitest tech snobbery (anti-social-networks, lack
>>> of
>>> understanding of how 90% of the world use the web, etc.) we suffer
>>> from.
>>>

>> All appologies, while I for sure have a tech background, I didn't
>> meant to
>> sound elitist. On the contrary, I'm asking you to explain me what is
>> the
>> obvious need that you hope to fill with such a feature and that
>> couldn't be
>> achieved within Wikimedia,
>

> What would it achieve? Well, people share content all over the web to
> their
> network; Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, etc. Facilitating this
> is
> obvious The reason it hasn't happened yet is that the editing
> community
> seems generally politically against the idea of social networks, so
> anything relating to them is evil! ;)

Ok, but what I don't understand is what prevent them to share links to
Wikimedia projects?

> Why should be only be building and sharing content within Wikimedia?
> The
> vast majority of the consumers of the site could not care one thing
> about
> "within Wikimedia", and that is fine. Foisting it upon them is the
> poor
> approach :D

I agree. However if people are intending to give feed back on the page,
especialy feedback which would be useful to improve it, I think it would
be far better to keep this comments within the Wikimedia echosystem.

>> espcecialy with the coming Echo extension.
>>

> I'm not sure how the Echo extension is relevant to sharing Wikipedia
> content as widely as possible. It's an internal notification system.
> :S I'd
> be *very *disappointed to see us build a system for sharing content
> internally (which is what you appear to be advocating), that is not
> our
> purpose (to be a social network).

Ok, it seems to me that I am really misunderstanding what you are
talking about.

> See above; are you really suggesting that no one should be sharing
> content
> outside of Mediawiki?? ;)

Of course not, it looks like I just don't understand what are the
barriers that seems to annoy you.

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/