[Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Thu Apr 18 12:28:23 UTC 2013

Le 2013-04-18 12:54, Thomas Morton a écrit :
>> If you mean publish something on tweeter while browsing a WMF
>> project, I
>> can't see the point. I'm sure most users know they can have more
>> than one
>> tab/window at a time.
>

> Weren't you asking for evidence to back up similar assertions a
> minute ago?
> :D

You are right, I will try to make research on the subject, "Measuring
Tabbed Browsing" seems to provide some (hopefuly) meaningful results.
Thus said, here I'm not trying to convince you that most browser users
know how to use tabs and windows. I am asking you what would be the gap
it would fill as I am unable to find it by myself.

>> Those said, I don't use Twitter in the first place, so I really have
>> no
>> idea what kind of gap you would like to fill with your feature.
>>

> *rolls eyes*
>
> Sorry, I don't mean to be snippy but this discussion always
> frustrates me.
> It's the sort of elitest tech snobbery (anti-social-networks, lack of
> understanding of how 90% of the world use the web, etc.) we suffer
> from.

All appologies, while I for sure have a tech background, I didn't meant
to sound elitist. On the contrary, I'm asking you to explain me what is
the obvious need that you hope to fill with such a feature and that
couldn't be achieved within Wikimedia, espcecialy with the coming Echo
extension.

Discussing is a great way to discover how hard it is to agree on
"obvious things" because our representation of the world is an
idiosyncrasy.

> Of course sharing buttons would be wonderful for our readers - that
> is the
> whole point of the internet, facilitating the building of the web of
> links!

Sure, but I just don't understand what prevent you from building links
within Mediawiki.

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/